To continue reading this article and others for free, please sign up for our newsletter.
Sahan Journal publishes deep, reported news for and with immigrants and communities of color—the kind of stories you won’t find anywhere else.
Unlock our in-depth reporting by signing up for our free newsletter.
This position has been filled. Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of Sahan Journal team.
Sahan Journal is seeking a dynamic Managing Editor to lead its groundbreaking news reporting on Minnesota’s immigrant and refugee communities. The ideal candidate for the job is someone who possesses strong editing and digital skills, adept at reporting stories independently or as part of a team, and is forward-thinking and innovative.
Our new colleague will be passionate about telling compelling stories about immigrants and refugees that are designed to resonate with our audience. We are looking for an editor skilled at inspiring and training students and emerging journalists alike while engaging the public in our work.
The Managing Editor will report and write stories independently or as part of a team and will edit reports produced by staff, student interns and fellows, freelancers and collaborating news organizations
The position includes assigning stories to reporters, working closely with our freelancers and commentary writers, and overseeing the day-to-day activities of the newsroom.
Successful candidates will have significant experience in hard news and investigative/data reporting, and the ability to write narrative nonfiction stories that use literary styles and techniques.
The Managing Editor will be a newsroom leader, reporting directly to Editor/Executive Director, who is responsible for the news and business operations.
Sahan Journal is the only independent, nonprofit 501(c)(3) news organization dedicated to providing authentic news reporting for and about immigrants and refugees in Minnesota. Sahan’s journalism illuminates and amplifies the significant contribution of Minnesota’s immigrant to the state’s culture, economy, and public life.
Some of the Managing Editor duties will include:
Management of reporters, interns and fellows
Managing Sahan Journal’s homepage
Engaging readers across multiple platforms
Mentoring and training of student journalists and emerging reporters from immigrant backgrounds
Editing and fact-checking of stories
Developing story ideas with reporters
Filing public records requests
Collaborative projects with journalistic partners and other organizations
Conceptualizing and/or creating data analyses and visualizations
Conceptualizing multimedia elements including audio, video, photography and graphics
If you have just some of the skills listed below, or others we failed to list, please consider applying for this position. We are a small, nimble organization that makes best use of, and is dedicated to developing the skills of our staff.
We’re looking for some combination of the following:
- Experience in high-quality, high-impact news reporting and/or editing. A minimum of seven to 10 years of experience desired.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience writing narrative nonfiction that uses literary styles and techniques to tell compelling stories.
- Experience working with immigrant and refugee communities and bringing to light those stories.
- Experience using social media to find sources and story ideas.
- Experience using Google Drive is required.
- Superior editorial judgment and the ability to identify great stories and quickly react to breaking news.
- Bulletproofing your work. We’re obsessive about accuracy.
- Proven ability to write concise and web-friendly headlines.
- Interpersonal skills, like flexibility, kindness and a sense of humor, suited for working in small teams on intense projects.
- Supervisory experience or temperament.
- Experience in conceiving and producing ambitious news stories that go beneath the surface.
- Deep knowledge of the changing media landscape.
- Data analysis and visualization.
- Website management and posting. Familiarity with WordPress.
- Photography, videography and/or audio gathering and editing skills.
Expected salary range: $$70,000 — 85,000, commensurate with skills and experience. This is a full-time benefited position.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to apply:
Send us a no more than 500 words cover letter, written in Google Doc.
A list of references.
Resume, preferably a link to your LinkedIn profile.
Send us five recent stories you wrote that show a variety of reporting techniques to Editor/Executive Director Mukhtar M. Ibrahim at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to chat about the job before applying, contact Mukhtar via email. Please put “Managing Editor” and your name in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you!