Come help us build! Sahan Journal seeks an aggressive, innovative digital sales professional to join our startup nonprofit news organization. This entrepreneurial individual will help us build a revenue stream based on digital advertising and sponsorship. This role will collaborate with our executive director on new products, partnerships, and methods of capturing revenue through business relationships. The Advertising and Sponsorship Manager will help Sahan Journal realize its potential for underwriting revenue and develop tests for new earned revenue streams.
Sahan Journal is a growing 2-year old nonprofit news startup that has exceeded projections for audience and growth. Named Best Web Site by City Pages in 2020, Sahan Journal has a mission to provide journalism and storytelling for, by, and about Minnesota’s growing immigrant and refugee communities. We center our narrative on the lives, experiences, concerns, and contributions of the newest Minnesotans, who are the drivers of Minnesota’s future. Recipient of the national Local That Works competition in 2020, Sahan Journal has been written about by Niemann Labs, Columbia Journalism Review, and the Washington Monthly.
The successful candidate for this job will have demonstrated experience in digital sales, experience with digital publishing platforms, and the ability to help create our back office traffic management systems. They will be culturally fluent in the diverse immigrant life of the Twin Cities and personally committed to racial equity. Extra points if bilingual.
- 4 years experience in digital sales
- Strong relationship building and prospecting skills
- Ability to meet sales goals
- Focus on customer service
- Closing skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Inspired at creating sales materials on different digital formats
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Committed to positive, collaborative work relationships
This position will work in tandem with a part-time sales associate and report to the Executive Director and founder, Mukhtar Ibrahim.
Sahan Journal offers
- Full-time, flexible work hours
- Salary $50,000 with 8% commission and end of year bonus for meeting goal
- 4 weeks PTO (does not include standard national holidays, which can be taken with PTO)
- 100% health and dental benefits,
- Positive, hopeful, and exciting work environment
- BIPOC leadership and staff
How to apply: Send us a resume and a brief description of your previous sales work to Managing Director Kate Moos at email@example.com. If you’d like to chat about the job before applying, contact Kate via email. Please put “Advertising and Sponsorship Manager” and your name in the subject line.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sahan Journal follows COVID-19 prevention protocols. The position will office at home. We require all employees to follow state-mandated precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.