Sahan Journal is a nonprofit digital newsroom dedicated to reporting for immigrants and communities of color in Minnesota. Our diverse staff creates exceptional journalism: coverage that truly represents the changing face of Minnesota and recognizes that democratic engagement and power belong to everyone.
Our stories reach audiences across many platforms, including our website, social media, video, and community events. To reach new audiences, we share our stories with small community papers and with the state’s biggest mainstream newsrooms, in print and over public radio.
Sahan Journal’s mission is to give immigrants and communities of color the kind of committed, responsive news coverage that we all deserve.
We’re looking to add two reporters to our newsroom: journalists with a passion to tell stories that matter to Minnesota’s immigrant communities and people of color.
Since its founding in 2019, Sahan Journal has produced groundbreaking local news coverage about education, health care, immigration policy, elections, climate, policing, entrepreneurship, working, housing, and more. We frequently frame stories through the lenses of equity, access, and accountability.
The ideal candidates will be engaged reporters, with the ability to report and write compelling and accurate stories, as the news occurs.
Our diverse, nine-person editorial team can’t cover everything. But our journalism can change the news narratives in communities that have been ignored—or poorly served—by mainstream news. And we can do it in a collaborative newsroom that reflects our talents, values, and vision.
Sahan Journal’s supportive and equitable work culture is committed to developing the potential of our staff and honoring their health and wellbeing.
- Report daily and breaking news, profiles, features and possibly enterprise stories
- Highlight topics and events that are often missed—or misrepresented—by mainstream news organizations
- Generate abundant ideas for short-, medium-, and long-term news stories
- Work with your editor to shape your coverage, priorities, and focus areas
- Delve deeply into the communities we cover; show up; listen to their concerns about the news needs in their daily lives
- Write stories that inform and provide service through compelling narratives and accurate information.
- Utilize social media and multimedia to supplement written copy or tell standalone stories across multiple platforms.
Desired skills, knowledge, and abilities
- At least 1-3 years experience in journalism, reporting and writing news
- Sound news judgment: the ability to identify good stories and execute them on a deadline
- Adherence to journalism values including accuracy, equity, fairness, and respect.
- Commitment to a supportive and equitable work culture
- Bonus if you can work competently in a language widely spoken in Minnesota, such as Spanish, Hmong, Somali, Karen, Oromo.
Salary and benefits
- Salary begins at $57,000 and will be based on prior experience and skillset.
- Employee medical and dental benefits 100 percent employer paid; dependents at 50 percent.
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) plan ($1.00 match for each $1.00 you contribute, up to a maximum of 4 percent of your annual income)
- Paid Time Off: 20 days / 4 weeks
- Sick Time Off: 5 days / 1 week
- Sahan Journal does not offer standard federal holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.), reflecting the diverse preferences of our staff. Instead, all employees are eligible for 4 floating holidays to be used at personal discretion.
- Cell phone stipend
- Professional development resources
- Relocation stipend available
- Sahan Journal staff currently works remotely. Employees have the option to use the Wellworth co-working space in downtown St. Paul.
Sahan Journal is a regional news organization. We are building our staff to reflect the state and communities we cover. Therefore, successful candidates will be expected to live in Minnesota, with the ability to travel to the Twin Cities on a monthly basis.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter, describing your experience and what excites you about working at Sahan Journal. If you have many of the requested skills and experiences, but not all of them, please apply!
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is September 30, 2022.