Crowds gather at the scene in Uptown Minneapolis after the fatal shooting of Winston Smith on June 3. Credit: Tim Evans | MPR News

To continue reading this article and others for free, please sign up for our newsletter.

Sahan Journal publishes deep, reported news for and with immigrants and communities of color—the kind of stories you won’t find anywhere else.

Unlock our in-depth reporting by signing up for our free newsletter.

Support local nonprofit journalism that works for you.

Our community-based reporting is made possible by readers just like you. Become a supporter of your local nonprofit news organization today with a tax-deductible donation so we can continue doing the reporting that matters to you.

$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

This story comes to you from MPR News, a partner with Sahan Journal. We will be sharing stories between SahanJournal.com and MPRNews.org.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said Wednesday that it is not releasing the names of the sheriff’s deputies who shot and killed a man last Thursday because the officers were working undercover.

Deputies working on the U.S. Marshals Service’s North Star Fugitive Task Force killed 32-year-old Winston Smith in an Uptown Minneapolis parking ramp while trying to arrest him on a firearms warrant.

State investigators said last week that Smith shot from inside his vehicle, and that Hennepin and Ramsey County deputies fired their guns. It’s not clear who fired first.

The officers were not wearing body cameras, and the BCA is asking the public for any video of the incident.

The BCA said it’s prohibited from releasing the officers’ identities because they were “working in an undercover capacity” and cited Minnesota law.

The task force included officers from the U.S. Marshals Service, the Anoka, Hennepin and Ramsey County sheriff’s offices, the Minnesota Department of Corrections and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Several Minnesota law enforcement agencies have pulled out of the federal task force since the incident, citing concerns over policies prohibiting body cameras.

Smith’s family has demanded release of any available video and the names of law enforcement officers involved.

Matt Sepic

Matt Sepic is a general assignment reporter for MPR News.

Nina Moini

Nina Moini is a reporter for MPR News.