To continue reading this article and others for free, please sign up for our newsletter.
Sahan Journal publishes deep, reported news for and with immigrants and communities of color—the kind of stories you won’t find anywhere else.
Unlock our in-depth reporting by signing up for our free newsletter.
About Sahan Journal
Sahan Journal is the only independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit digital newsroom fully dedicated to providing authentic news reporting for and with immigrants and communities of color in Minnesota. As Minnesota becomes more diverse, Sahan brings these undertold stories to the mainstream, with the skill, perspective, and nuance they deserve. We create journalism that represents the changing face of Minnesota and recognizes that democratic engagement and power belong to everyone. Our stories reach audiences online and through sharing with media partners and via social media, averaging 100,000 unique readers a month.
As Sahan Journal’s first full-time Membership Manager, you will manage and grow a comprehensive digital fundraising strategy to increase the number of donors and revenue through existing and emerging digital platforms. Launched in 2019, Sahan Journal is poised to move beyond its startup phase and build the organizational capacity to make lasting contributions to the media ecosystem of Minnesota and beyond.
We are creating a supportive, high-energy organizational culture, one that is committed to developing the potential of our staff and honoring their wellbeing. We believe the best work is thrilling and fun. The successful candidate will join a full-time staff of 11 and a quickly growing revenue team with ambitious growth goals over the next three years.
Scope and responsibilities
- The Membership Manager will develop and implement strategies that maximize individual giving, while increasing member loyalty to Sahan Journal. Generally, this includes acquiring and retaining donors with gifts from $10–$4,999.
- In partnership with the Managing Director of Development, Sales and Marketing Director, and the Director of Partnerships, the Membership Manager position will play a critical role in helping Sahan Journal grow from a successful startup to an established primary news source for Minnesota and beyond.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate nationally with the Institute for Nonprofit News and other digital publications for emerging digital platforms and ideas to lead our digital fundraising and engagement strategies to acquire, renew and retain donors.
- Strategize and oversee creation and execution of online cultivation, stewardship, and engagement communications. This includes direct solicitations to new, young and diverse audiences.
- Develop and manage communications, landing pages, tools, and graphics for online fundraising activities.
- Work within an existing brand voice, both in visual representation and editorial style, in order to support the consistency of messaging across campaigns and the organization.
- Serve as primary contact with Salesforce, News Revenue Hub, and other vendors as needed. Establish and maintain department-wide processes for entry, alteration, and use of data fields.
- Analyze revenue and expenses from all projects to determine the best methods of support to grow the income base.
- Manage vendor quotes and contracts for membership- and development-related activities.
- Represent Sahan Journal at conferences and meetings, as required.
Necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Preference for five or more years of relevant fundraising experience in a nonprofit environment, with a strong track record of effective collaboration.
- A willingness to innovate and develop new concepts to benefit the public-media fundraising ecosystem.
- A keen eye for data analysis and best practices to translate research into strategy. Familiarity with audience research is desirable. Experience with Salesforce, Mailchimp, Google Analytics, and Stripe is a plus.
- Direct experience with a nonprofit dependent on individual gift contributions, including online solicitation, direct mail, telemarketing, and other direct response strategies. Digital fundraising experience is highly desirable.
- Experience in annual fund campaigns, soliciting and closing gifts, and building relationships with existing and new stakeholders.
- Understanding of loyalty marketing and/or membership programs systems.
Salary and benefits
- The salary range for this position begins at $60,000 and will be based on prior experience and skillset.
- Sahan Journal pays 100 percent of the employee’s medical and dental benefits; family members can be covered by employee contributions.
- Sahan Journal staff currently work primarily from home. We anticipate beginning weekly in-person meetings in 2022.
- Sahan Journal does not offer standard holidays (Eid, Labor Day, Christmas, etc.), reflecting the diverse preferences of our staff. Instead, this position will receive four weeks of PTO to be used at personal discretion.
- Flexible working hours.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter, describing your experience and what excites you about working at Sahan Journal. If you have many of the requested skills and experiences, but not all of them, please apply!
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Open until filled.